Sunday, 25 January 2015

Why stay in the Netherlands?

Good Morning dear Readers,

Yesterday the frost was clinging to the roads and yet the sun was shining bright enough to keep this Viking warm. (YES I am from Norway and YES I too do get cold!).  On days like that I thrive and want to explore more of the Netherlands. I get the urge to travel a bit or visit a friend. 

One of the great things about the Netherlands is that even such a small country has more surprises and great places to see than what you can imagine. Actually the size of this country is also the advantage the way I see it. If I want to see somewhere new I can find it anywhere from within Amsterdam to Maastricht or even a small village somewhere. This country has some tremendous architecture and a rich melting-pot of cultures.
You have the local Dutch cultures of course, they differ in the North and South, the East and the West. A Dutch person from the North is more blunt and outspoken from my own experience. The do not take any BS yet they are happy to supply it on special occasions ;) Northerners are doers, fashion orientated (not all but many), , they keep a high paste and they are very productive. They play hard and work even harder. Further South people have a softer dialect and character.( If I generalize then that is just to paint a picture nothing more). Southerners are great from my standpoint, the wait and observe and get to know you as they watch. They are more laid back it seems and if I have seen observed correctly they tend to not like confrontation (yet at the same time most Dutch are very direct if I compare to what I am used to back home). I think people from the south come across as very friendly in general, they give you time instead of hasting you to make decisions or get to the point straight away (which is good for a walk around the bush kind of person like myself !). I have worked with a several Southerners and it was very nice, it is like having friends at work, you get comfortable straight away.

¨Western-Dutchies¨ remind me of home, they are down to earth and often talk from the liver. They are hard working and life often revolves around working hard and bringing ¨food on the table¨ for the family. They could be a bit materialistic when it comes to their house and cars. To them though success is a necessity not a dream. And success is such subjective term that do not even get me started on that. I like the ¨westies¨, I love their drive. Because despite the first impression of being a bit too direct, they are warm people that are trying to make it in a busy world. They are very social and go out for dinner with friends, their agenda is packed even after work! I admire such a drive, I really do yet I have no clue how they are so darn effective.


Easterners and their culture I have yet to discover and observe. I can not say I have travelled a lot to those edges of NL. Even with the local cultures I have gotten to know I consider my observations as limited and yet to be continued. Because cultures are under constant development and every single person I meet is different and unique in their own way. 


                                              Copyright: Wikipedia 

Another great part of the Netherlands is that it has been influenced by all kinds of cultures due to the colonial times, the location of the country, the openness of people here and trade. Everyday I meet another person from another country or with a different background than Dutch. I learn good and bad things about cultures, I see and enjoy our differences (most times). It makes life interesting not to KNOW everything and to learn new people and situations everyday.

In general I find the Dutch people highly intelligent and very interested in art and politics & economy and of course their development as a human being. Yet as I said I learn something new about this culture (filled with many other cultures) every day. 


Have an Awesome Sunday  x Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment