Dear Readers,
Sorry for the long gap in my posting, I have been quite busy and to be honest I also had a little bit of a writers block. Too many thoughts going through my Viking head recently so I had to gather them a bit.
The title might make those of you who never went to the Netherlands wonder, ¨what the heck is that all about?¨ Well it is is a Dutch thing really. I see the Dutch people as tremendoulsy idividualistic people (if that is even a proper description for it), idependent is probably more fitting actually. Yet once in a while they like to gather and dress up in colours that unite the people. The colours might not represent only Dutch people, it represents this country and everyone it that feel like joining the celebration of the achivements and life of all cultures in the Netherlands. Colours that represent this are white-red-blue combinations or more populare ORANGE! Specifically the people of the Netherlands like to dress up in orange when the Dutch footbal team is playing in the world cup and to celebrate the King's birthday!
The King's birthday (27th of April) is really popular to celebrate with friends or family out on the streets of whatever city you are in dressed in orange. I never really liked dressing in orange because I honestly think the colour does not suit me at all :P Yet on this day I do normally make an effort with the orange for this special day. I enjoy celebrating it with people, it kind of feels like a day that is meant for everyone who lives or stays in the Netherlands for while. It is nice to see how good food, trade, culture and music just blends and flourish on this day. In big cities like Amsterdam and Utrecht you can barely walk through the massa without feeling like you are invading people's personal space. There are flee markets, food & drink stands and free concerts everywhere in the streets! To come to the Netherlands in April makes sense if you like all the hussle and bussle and enjoy a good party. I have seen it now a few times and can enjoy observing from a distance as well. Preferably I go to a terrace with friends and eat nice food while watching the crowds in nice weather and finnish it up with a italian dry white wine.
© 2015, Veenkle
To see the Netherlands go orange and celebrate their King is for sure an experience which is nice to be a part of. I would recommend everyone going to the Netherlands in April to go see the streets of one of the 3 biggest cities on these days. Something will be happening from the beginning of the day untill the very end and then some!
x Viking

No comments:
Post a Comment