Monday, 9 May 2016

Suntannes and goodbyes

Hello dear readers,

It has been an awesome journey and it seems it is coming to an abrupt end. Little over a month ago I would have thought it would end differently but I think deep down I also need a breather. 

This weekend I spent moving my stuff to Utrecht, they will stay there until I am ready to pick them up or ready to come back. Yet it feels like this is goodbye and I am not great with goodbyes as we all know. Me and my friends from Utrecht and Bussum went out in Utrecht and partied like there was no tomorrow (or at least until the Viking´s energy was drained and she got shipped back to bed in a taxi!):P Then we woke up the next morning to land ourselves on a beach to recover some vitamine D after a long cold winter. In 25-30 degrees we were stretched out as if nothing would ever change. Between hipsters, potheads, transvestites, business people, gay, straight and wonderfully different people we soaked up the sun in  sometimes silence next to the water and on occasion chatting away time. 

Next week will be one of emotions, because not only am I PMSing but I am freaking out about leaving these great people that I have in my life. Good friends don´t grow on any tree! And I am well aware of that and to me they are all I have in life right now and I am leaving them behind. It feels though and not in a good way. So I tell myself it is a 3 month holiday, a breather to find some answers as to how I will run my life. Even now, in this writing moment it feels wrong. I wish I could take them with me and unwrap them as I unpack in my hometown they would feel like little presents on Christmas eve! Yet no, not possible and that my dear readers, that sucks big time. 

Ha! Enough wallowing though! I am making the most of my last week in the Netherlands. I will see as many people that I can and say bye to all the things and people I will miss. This is why I eat lots of icecream on a warm day, I take pictures of my favourite moments (like a sunset landing on the grand Amsterdam Central station!) or go to my favourite beach in Bloemendaal when I can. Strolling in Utrecht the other day was amazing, we were walking for hours and just taking pictures of busy squares and the Dom tower that makes the accent of the city. 

    Photo by: Myself, Amsterdam Central, 2016
   Photo by: Myself- Utrecht Oog in Al, 2016

  Photo by: Myself- Utrecht Dom Tower, 2016
   Photo by: Myself- Amsterdam and the Nemo Science Museum, 2016
   Photo by: Myself- Bussum on Kings Day, 2016


It is weird to think that next Sunday me and my cat Freya will be a part of Norway and not the Netherlands. I will start working and figuring out the next steps ahead in life and it kind of feels like learning to walk all over again. Is this the moment that will define me or did it already pass?

I choose to think it is yet to come, but of course I could be wrong. Many have told me that I have the soul of a gypsy, I am a nomad and will probably never feel roots anywhere. Maybe they were right? I hope they are only partly so, because I would like nothing more that find a foundation to lean on right now, if only for a while so be it.

In all this I have both new and ¨old¨ friends to thank for all their support and hugs. Even though it is not the end of the world to move back home it is still something that is a big deal for me and something I would rather not do at this moment in time. I just need some time to figure things out and to find a career path I am happy with. Also family time will be much appreciated, but as I said the other day I need strange people and a good dose of weirdness surrounding me to feel at home! The Netherlands though also not perfect gave me that ! Artsy, quirky, ambitious and all the words in the world would not be enough to describe the broad spectrum of people I like to surround myself with.  We all need something and I , well I need that....many odd and wonderful individuals surrounding me! And if I did not say it already, to me odd and weird are the best of compliments you get from me, it means I like you HA! (Seriously!)

Anyway peeps, I gotta go sort out my life now! Will write when there is time :)
xx Viking

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annie, I am sad that you leave! I hope that future brings you the best! And I hope you live where you want and as you want. Shame you wont be here when Kiva moves to Holland! But Im sure you will meet her some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey P,
      Thanks, I will be back to visit this year sometime after summer I think so we can meet up and chat then :)

      Delete