Sunday, 28 June 2015

Norway trip drawing closer

Dear Readers,

After a somewhat private post yesterday it is time to share a more positive prospect today. The 31st of July the bf and I are going to Norway. It will be the first time he ever goes and meeting the family so we are quite excited and slightly nervous all at the same time. Norway to me holds many things, not just family but adventure in the sense that nature just comes crashing down on you so much it is bound to take your breath away. You can get lost, you may see bears, wolves and wolverines and the air is fresh. So fresh it feels like nectar filling your lungs and taking all the cityshit out of them as you breathe out. There is alsmost no end to the green and countryside and city melts together. You know your neighbour where I come from, you talk to them regurlary and you invite them over now and then and they come. Where I grew up there are mountains that tower over you and they remind you that you are nothing more but a small molecule in this vast universe. When I was young I hate climbing mountains, because they reminded me how unsignificant I am. They made me feel imperfect and that was a challenge I could not face at that time in my life. As I got older a wise old Icelander told me 'YOU WALK THE MOUNTAIN LIKE A TROLL! AS IF YOU WANT TO MASTER IT WITH YOUR FEET BUT ALL YOU DO IS SPEND ALL YOUR ENERGY ON A SMALL PIECE GIRL!''

That little Annie was only 17 years old and angry at the world. So the Icelander decided to say something and he woud have no idea how much that would change her mindset. Since then I have learned that climbing a mountain is small steps and not strides. And you do not fight the mountain you find the right path for you and you enjoy every step and challenge you meet. If you get tired it is a lesson learned: you forgot what the trip demands of you and you did not visit the mountain in too long. For every step the mountain makes you stronger and for every turn there is always something new. Brittle bridges over small streams are worth an ambitious jump.

               ODDA (2011)
        
11 years later the angry girl is gone I think. She looks forward to the perspective the moutnains offer her. She sees a oportunity to view the world below in birdview and to enjoy the full picture. Humbleness is no greater than when you sit on top of a mountain looking down and knowing how small the world really is in the great big whole. The west is known for it's challengin weather , fjords and apple gardens and but it's mountains can sometimes be underestimated.

Looking forward to sharing this piece of my past with a person I know will love it.

x Viking

No comments:

Post a Comment