Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Job interviews and useful tips

Hello dear readers,


As many already know I am a Norwegian lass living in Amsterdam. A few weeks ago my work contract ended and it was time to look at other options in the work-market. At the moment I am therefore attending a few job-interviews as a result of that. 

Naturally I am not the only person looking for a job in a country with around 17 million people so I am not naive. I know that there is plenty of competition out there and I had to learn the hard way that some people who like to refer to themselves as friends are really nothing more than competition. If you are looking for a job in a country with a lot of people be careful not to give too much away to those around you. I have watched friends that I had through years and years ¨dagger¨ me in the back when it came down a job they also wanted. What else can a girl say then good luck and may the best person win? I for my part will give you a good run for your money. I did not have a though life to become a softy. At least the rough upbringing was good for something and for that I am ever so grateful. 

So the first advice I give anyone applying for jobs abroad is this: Toughen up and expect the unexpected yet do not become someone you are not. Use your strengths and lessons learned on the road to success. And please remember that friends are only friends outside the office. People who never meet you outside it, well they are simply just office co-workers and they do not know you or care further than the payslip. I am sorry if I made some bubbles burst but then I guess it was about time...

Writing an application letter can differ from country to country and it also depends on the sector you want to enter. I have 3 -4 main types of letters when I apply in the Netherlands based on the sector in which I wish to apply. Management, customer service, animal & the letters that go under the gloomy ¨others¨ category.
I tend to focus on the first 3 since that is where I am specialized and these letters are all rather different. Of course each individual letter should be different. But it is good to have a kind of ¨guideline¨ letter for each sector in which you wish to apply, especially if Dutch is not your mother tongue.  

When you get to the interview it is important to have the application letter freshly in mind and the position you applied for. Why? Because otherwise you will come across as less motivated and frankly as a waste of time. Imagine if you can not confirm something you wrote in the letter?! Or worse...what if you forgot what the position was?! You should know what you are doing and what your main strength and weaknesses are. Your motivation for applying should be clear and rolling off your tongue even if nervous. I tend to be fine with interviews, but of course I also get nervous sometimes. However, if I prepare myself the day before by reading through all necessary information I will have everything fresh in mind so even when nervous I will not forget my name ;) hehehehe

If I am to be serious, the main difference between a Norwegian and Dutch job interview is that the Dutch are far more critical. (prepare for a ¨grilling¨ of around 1 hour....if you are lucky!) In Norwegian interviews they focus on what kind of person you are and if you have some work experience (again this will depend on the job in question). I once had an employer in Norway ask about my hobbies and nothing else! He asked me about the Japanese mice I kept and I remember thinking...what....the...f..... yet I smiled and kept the conversation going and landed myself a job despite the non-logic of the questions applied. In some cases you might have to steer the interviewer in the right direction in order to give the information you need to hand over and to ask the questions you want the answer to.

In the Netherlands the interviewer likes to keep control, yet do not be a mute. Then they will forget you and that is not the intent of course. What I tend to do is that I listen to the introduction of the company, I like to let them show me around and hear what their experience is of the company. If small questions pop up in my head along the way I note them and remember them for later. Remember that an interviewer might sometimes also get nervous so if you notice that it might be nice to give a positive comment on something you read about the company and ask about it. ¨I read that your company had a charity event this Christmas, what a nice gesture! Do all employees participate? ¨ or  "I read about the training programs for leaders, it looks really interesting. I was wondering if anyone could participate?¨

By complimenting and then asking questions you are making it easier for the other person to feel at ease AND you show a sincere interest in the company. You also get valuable feedback about the company that will help you make a decision whether or not you will have to negotiate later on about your own development in the company. Often 1 question will encourage the interviewer to answer and then give more information than he or she would originally give. Just make sure you do not interrupt the interviewer if they are in a flow, wait until they are done with their briefing.   

         Copyright © 2014 Quotezine. Inspiration. Motivation. Quotes. http://sumo.ly/23Zo via @quotezine

When it is time you ask the questions you have written down the day before or noted during the interview if they have not already been answered.  Here in the Netherlands I tend to always ask about salary and traveling costs in the very end of the interview if it was not already specified on the work-add. Many people might think this is really forward, but for me it is important to know what I am going to earn when working for a company. You see in the Netherlands having a job does not mean your pay will cover all your living-costs (even if it is a 40 hour a week job). For you to get by and successfully grow as a person and professional it is important to know what to expect not only on the work floor but also financially. If I wish to grow into a better position I would ask for a success story in the company of an employee with a similar situation to that of mine that became a leader or manager for example. 

These are just small tips based on my own experience. My strength is that I tend to do really well in interviews if I get one. I know how they go and I have had many and almost every time I get hired so the best thing is to relax and be yourself but be aware what you are doing there, who you are talking to and what you want out of it.

With that being said I hope this was useful for you expats or anyone for that matter. I wish I had more insight about job applications in the Netherlands when I came here (but back then of course IIII knew everything so much better so I did not think I needed help;) In some small way I hope this information will help those of you looking for new opportunities.

x Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment