Monday, 30 March 2015

Restless in the Rain?

Dear oh dear readers,

What at rainy spring thus far eh! Yesterday the days officially got longer and the the clocks turned forward an hour. As I child I was always happy the moment this happened because it meant warmer days and light and joy. Life crawling out from under rocks and concrete and creatures returning to mate and give birth from the far south. I think my family must have loved it when us kids could finally spend more time outside instead of nagging them because we were bored with the cold and rainy weather. Because life in Norway was great when weather allowed us to run into the garden and play with our dogs or hike with our friends, to go horseback riding without frosty fingers or being wet to the bone by the harsh rain. Mind you, we did go out despite a stormy weather and almost every time we would end up with a fever or similar. As a kid my parents wanted us to keep active and I can not blame them since I grew up in a household with many many MANY siblings. With all of us under one roof we needed to keep occupied or else we would get bored I suppose and start poking each others eyes out. With a teacher as a mother there were to be no lazy children at home preferably. It is one of the things she did right I must admit, keeping us fit and engaged in the local sports and activities. It costed her a lot to make sure all the 5 children + 2 step children had hobbies and sports after school. I think it is a miracle that we got our homework done in time. Everyday except the weekends I had after-school activities up until the age of 12 and after that it was horseback riding and work that kept me busy.

So here I am at the lovely age of 28 years without the ability to watch the rain for a whole day without getting restless....Sitting around and not working nor moving my body gives me a bloody itch! I go from being the most reasonable person to acting like a a monkey trapped in a cadge! Ok maybe I exaggerate a bit, yet I must say sitting inside all day without work and just watching movies changes me into a rather annoying Viking. In hindsight I feel bad about it, yet I know this is a part of me I can not change much and that I think is what makes me who I am. Because it is not that I am so much trapped with my thought (though silence will force you to look into those) but down to the dreary fact that rain makes me freezing cold and sitting inside all day makes my body crave movement. My body knows the routines and has a hunger for work and movement and lets not forget the warm round thing that belongs in the sky in spring and summer. It ought to be there all the time, yet those clouds present a real challenge these days.

     Private photos: A Valley after the rain gave up
   Private photos: Buerbreen, Odda

Is it typical Norwegian to act like this? Am so used to rocky and tall surroundings and being outside that my body fights it when there is a day with nothing to do but to stare at a screen without much physical nor mental purpose to it? I sure know I am not normal, but who wants to be? All I know is I long for spring and summer to warm up my joints and lure me outside for a jog and a dance. To meet good friends at a terrace and to zip a dry white wine in exciting places. The urge to travel also grants me a sense of restlessness as I yet have to go for a trip this year. I am thinking to visit the UK in Summer and then hopefully eastern Europe a bit later. I would love to see Tallinn or maybe Riga and Prague because I always heard so much about those cities and they are not too far away.

Time will tell. I keep dreaming and so should you:)

x Viking

No comments:

Post a Comment