Saturday, 21 March 2015

What inspires us?

Dear readers,

Yesterday I had a short conversation with one of my linkedin contacts. He works for a well known organization that investigates and prosecute illegal wildlife trade. At the moment he is in the ivory tombs of Tanzania and though I know that is a darn hard ass job to do I admire it. There are many things in this life I wish to do, and one of them is to work with something that matters. To affect the lives of people and/or animals in the big picture is something I deeply  admire in people. 

When I was little I remember the adults asked me what I would like to be when I grew up. Of course a part of me wanted to be a Rockstar just like the next smalltowngirl .... but deep down it was always things like, a vet, a behaviorist, someone that helps youth and animals, a scientist, a wildlife- journalist and film producer for a nature or animal show...not because it would help me but because those latter were all types of work I admire. When someone saves lives or make it their work to ensure that for example people's  life gets better it inspires me. When people speak the truth to make you better because they believe in you ...it inspires me. 
On the other hand it also inspires me if someone can hold their tongue for the greater good of something despite that they would really really REALLY like to tell the truth. You might say that is not an admirable trait but for me that as well shows a lot of self-control for someone that believes that the truth should always be spoken. 

The point is not so much my story above about what inspires me, it is that inspiration is individual and the decisions we make about how we proceed ...well they are all made in the context of contributing factors. Factors such as: morals, our view on the bigger picture, who we want to be or become in that picture and who we want to protect and help. Maybe it is a heavy post for a Saturday morning. I guess my Norwegian friends would say ¨just go back to bed Annie!¨ or ¨At least come and drink a cup of coffee before you start¨. Yet they know, I was always a bit different hehehe. I can always appreciate a good cup of cappuccino in the early rays of the Saturday-sun just like the next person. The difference is maybe that I also find it nice to drink it next to writing or while working on my next project. 

                                                                                   Copyright: Uswitch.com (2015)


I have friends that get inspired by money, I have friends that get inspired by green peace, I know people that get inspired by their family and friends and I know a lot people that let themselves get inspired by the day. Some get inspired by all of the above even ;) We are all different and I like that. Every person has a story and admiration for someone or let themselves get inspired by something. For me it tickles the curiosity if someone is different from me. It has the potential to teach me something new, something I did not know yet but also the potential to get to know someone better. 

What inspires you on a Saturday morning?

x the Viking


No comments:

Post a Comment