Hello good folk,
I had to laugh today when I saw a post my dad shared on facebook. The local newspaper was writing about how our home-town will get a new cash-point one of these days. In contrast the Dutch newspapers today amongst other subjects writes about the interrogation of another terrorist...science behind curing different types of cancer....about everyday heroes etc.
After 8 years abroad with all sorts of things happening everywhere and events unfolding making me feel scared but also alive I wonder how it will when I go back to the town where new ATMs are the most exciting news there is to be found ;) I was joking (not about the ATM!) I should make the local news then, because even though I am not the most interesting person in the world, I tend to end up in the middle of things and maybe I´d make the local news hahahahaah! I sure should ;)
But seriously guys and girls, how will I survive this boring city for months? I really hope I get a visit every month to survive the ¨safeness¨ of the city. Sure, living abroad away from family and friends in Norway was not always a ¨dance on roses¨. Most of times it was damb hard not to have home to turn to. But like my dad has said many times before, I was always used to manage on my own. Miss Independent is a nickname many have given me and at times it is a blessing but at the same time it is ¨a bit double¨ as they say in the Netherlands. Because at times it was also a lonely way of life and hard as well. Like with any personality trait there are good and bad sides to it. The Dutchies have shown me a great deal of directness and along with it I have learned that even if they are a proud and stubborn kind, they have thought me it is okay to accept help spmetimes Even more so, it is normal here than you now and then receive a helping hand.
I am scared to go back to Norway, because I am still not that good at asking for help when I need it. Here in the Netherlands I have friends that see it, even if I protest and say I will be fine...people close to me here, they tell me to stop being stubborn and accept their gesture and care. It is different back home, few people understand me like my friends here do. I value them so highly that leaving them feels like leaving family. Because they are the family that I choose and they choose me. That is the thing, I never needed to prove myself to them, not at all. Being who I am was just enough and also there was a sense of simply understanding each other even without words at times.
Though I refuse to be sad right now, it will be okay to go back. I am already trying to make some plans to keep my busy and making it worth the trip back. Thinking if I have a goal with it all it will not be a bad thing. I certainly will do everything in my power to make a Norwegian summerhouse happen for me and all my international friends :D As I said in my earlier post there is also a great deal of pros going back home. Family, Norwegian friends and also the opportunity to starting my own business actually getting paid a NORWEGIAN motherfooo salary! Yeah baby! No more half-decent salary or pocket-sand at the end of the month! ;) Sorry Holland I will not miss the ridiculous salaries I got here ;)
I will miss the total disregard of humbleness. When it comes to the Dutch dream, because if there is one thing the Dutchies have thought me it was to throw the Jantelaw out the window and to dare to dream big. So what if it does not work out, at least you tried and it got you somewhere, it thought you something! :)
But hey, May is drawing near and I guess I will be the lucky girl trying out the new ATM in Odda in the very near future. The paparazzi better prepare for some pretty crazy shit..I will draw that cash like it was no tomorrow and spend it on the club that is not there ;)
Wish me luck sweethearts heheeh. I think I will need it!
x Viking

No comments:
Post a Comment