Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Why I love it in Haarlem

Hello dear readers,

It is time for another post! Time for a summary of why I love to live in Haarlem so much.
Well, you might think it is because of the old city centre, the history or the fact that this is the number one shopping city in the Netherlands. These are all good facts but I can tell you right now it is not the reason why I feel so at home here. 

It all starts with the people. The mix of us expats, the average Dutch family and the rich and famous and more importantly my friends! :) So, let me explain this to you all because at first glance it might look weird to mention it like this. The thing is, I have always liked mix and match when it comes to cultures and and people in general. Diversity as it where is not only opportunity but it is a necessity for a healthy community. And when you can live side by side as equals no matter your wallet size or popularity it kind of feels like home.
As I was telling some friends the other day, I love it that famous people are walking the streets here and they can do so without getting disturbed. They also do not act as if they are better than you (as far as I know anyway!) and yeah they go to the grocery shop down the street just like the rest of us. Another point about Haarlem, which I think is why all kinds of people feel so at home here is that people are really social here. People greet you and treat you with respect. Sure we have some mental people as well but it is all a part of the mix which makes Haarlem a beautiful place to live. When I first came to the Netherlands I was under the impression that the North of the Netherlands would be more cold. Though I think because of all of the international influences both Amsterdam and Haarlem has it has a warmth and groundedness you see few other places. Things move quickly and with efficiency and people might be direct but once you find your way of dealing with this and once they know you it is a friendly bunch.

The old city would be hollow if it was not for the laughter of the children or the old man walking across the bricks at   ¨De Grote Markt¨. Without the lady with the headscarf telling her friend about the lazy student they just hired and without the posh looking fashionista walking her dog past them and nodding friendly to these two ladies whilst having a phone meeting at the same time...it would not be Haarlem! 

I can sit for hours and just watch people and write what I see. I can imagine their stories from how they look,  speak or carry themselves. It is fun and to be honest I have no clue who is famous or not I just make my own story to the character I see in front of me. Maybe it is odd, but it makes me feel connected to this place...all these different people somehow makes it home. And yes let us not forget that it is easy to make friends in Haarlem, people just randomly interrupt your conversation to ask you something or just to get to know you. Sure sometimes it is awkward, yet sometimes it can be really lovely as well and it may lead to a new and wonderful friendship or just a good story.

If your groceries falls all over the pavement in Haarlem or your bus card someone will ask if they can help. At least this is my experience. So far I like it the most of the places I have lived, but that does not mean I will not change my mind. 

Best of all is that I have many good friends here. And as you know by now all of my friends are very important to me. They are the family I chose and they are the people who keep my head above water. Who knows if I will stay here, I just know this...I would like to stay here if I can and finally make some roots.

xxViking

No comments:

Post a Comment